The Process For Obtaining a Full Class G Licence
A class G license is required if you plan on driving a car, van, or small truck. This is the first license you need to obtain before you qualify to drive any other kind of vehicle.
Requirements For A Class G License
- You must be at least 16 years old
- You must meet the vision standards established by the Ministry Of Transportation.
- You must pass a knowledge test regarding the rules of the road and signs.
- You must pass 2 road test classes G2 and G, to become fully licensed.
Process For Obtaining A Full Class G Licence
Study for the written knowledge test. (Practice for G1 test here)
Apply for a licence at the DriveTest Centre.
Take a vision test at the DriveTest Centre.
Pay the fees at the DriveTest Centre.
Complete and pass the written knowledge test.
Obtain your temporary driving license.
Practice your driving with your Class G1 licence and fully licensed accompanying driver.
After 8 – 12 months with a Class G1 licence, book a road test and then take your Class G2 road test.
Practice your driving with your Class G2 licence.
Book a road test and then take your Class G road test. Enjoy your Class G licence. Drive safely.
Things To Know
- The vision test takes a few minutes – if you need corrective lenses, take them.
- Fees can be paid by: Cash, Credit card, Debit card, Certified cheque, Bank draft, Money order, and Traveller’s cheque.
- The temporary driver’s license is made of paper and is valid for 90 days.
- The knowledge test takes approximately 30 minutes – no appointment is required.
- If unsuccessful, you can try the road test again if your Class G2 licence has not expired.
When you have a Class G1 licence, you must:
- Maintain a zero blood-alcohol level.
- Make sure every passenger with you wears a seat belt.
- Do not drive between midnight and 5 am.
- Do not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways.
- Drive with a fully licensed driver with four years of experience and a blood alcohol level of less than .05
- If this person is 21 and under, the blood alcohol level must be zero.